Best way to learn web2py
Andreas Wienes
2013-10-23 14:55:41 UTC
Hey guys,

I think it would be great to start a website similar to
http://astonj.com/tech/best-way-to-learn-ruby-rails/ but only for web2py.

So what do you think about my idea and what is your opinion about the "best
way" to learn web2py?

I'm excited for your suggestions.

- Andreas
--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com
Richard Vézina
2013-10-23 15:29:49 UTC
You can reference this : http://killer-web-development.com/section/1/0

There is many post on the google group about ressource to get a grip on
web2py

We could also, make a up to date list of existing book here :

:)

Richard
Derek
2013-10-23 21:56:54 UTC
You can certainly try something on your own, the best thing to do is read
the book. When people ask questions here, I usually refer them to the book,
aka the documentation itself. It's well documented.
Richard Vézina
2013-10-24 16:27:12 UTC
I think he want to create a similar Web site than the one for Ruby he
posted.

Richard
You can reference this : http://killer-web-**development.com/section/1/0<http://killer-web-development.com/section/1/0>
http://astonj.com/tech/best-**way-to-learn-ruby-rails/<http://astonj.com/tech/best-way-to-learn-ruby-rails/>but only for web2py.
So what do you think about my idea and what is your opinion about the
"best way" to learn web2py?
I'm excited for your suggestions.
- Andreas
--
- http://web2py.com
- http://github.com/web2py/**web2py <http://github.com/web2py/web2py>(Source code)
- https://code.google.com/p/**web2py/issues/list<https://code.google.com/p/web2py/issues/list>(Report Issues)
---
.
--
- http://web2py.com
---
Derek
2013-10-24 17:53:54 UTC
Well, I don't particularly like that website. It's cluttered, disjointed.

I think pointing people to the Web2Py Book (aka Documentation) is the way
to go.

To quote PEP20:
"There should be one and preferably only one obvious way to do it."

The simple fact is that if you learn Web2Py some other way, and come here
to ask questions on how to do something, most answers you'll get will refer
to the official documentation. Might as well read it. It's simple short and
to the point.
Dave S
2013-10-24 19:32:05 UTC
Post by Derek
Well, I don't particularly like that website. It's cluttered, disjointed.
I think pointing people to the Web2Py Book (aka Documentation) is the way
to go.
Well, it helps that the Web2Py book is quite thorough and well written.
Other products should be jealous. But this group wouldn't be very busy if
nothing else was needed.
The Totally Official Web2Py website has the Documentation and Resources page
<http://www.web2py.com/init/default/documentation>

which has a Learning and Demos section, which I should check out more.

Another resource would be the Web2PySlices site, which is also listed on
the above page; I've skimmed through some of the examples there and on the
utils and plug-ins links.

Finally, several of the key contributores have their own book:
<http://www.packtpub.com/web2py-application-development-recipes-to-master-python-web-framework-cookbook/book?utm_source=web2py.com&utm_medium=link&utm_content=pod&utm_campaign=mdb_009617#sample>

I haven't had a chance to check that one out, but it looks itneresting and
the authors have made plenty of good contributions to the user group here.

So (other than the distracting background image), what's missing from
Massimo's page compared to the "Learning Ruby" page the OP cites would be a
short summary or review of each of the resources.

/dps
Derek
2013-10-25 20:51:09 UTC
I don't think anything is "missing". People just want to get their toes wet
when creating websites, and prefer instant gratification to reading the
documentation. Nothing wrong with that, and adding more documentation
really isn't going to solve the problem. My advice to anyone who wants to
learn web2py is to read the official documentation cover to cover. That's
it. It's not a difficult read, and it's not very long.
<
Dave S
2013-10-25 21:16:24 UTC
Post by Derek
I don't think anything is "missing". People just want to get their toes
wet when creating websites, and prefer instant gratification to reading the
documentation. Nothing wrong with that, and adding more documentation
really isn't going to solve the problem. My advice to anyone who wants to
learn web2py is to read the official documentation cover to cover. That's
it. It's not a difficult read, and it's not very long.
As someone who recently started with Web2Py, but with some background in
Python, websites (html and php), and simple use of DBs, I disagree. I read
the online book. I worked through the examples in the overview. And I
still have questions. The book is excellent. It is not enough by itself.

/dps