hi
ahmad
2012-07-12 09:52:26 UTC
please anyone can tell me about the web2py and it's community and if i
learn it can i find a job easily????
Akash Kakkar
2012-07-13 08:26:03 UTC
Finding a Job depends on your capabilities and experience. Learning Web2py
and developing an application would help you learn how to develop Web
applications fast, in the process you will learn a little about python and
your MVC concepts will get better. Showcasing your capabilities thereafter
in your resume might help your resume to get shortlisted but then it's
entirely upto you , the employer and a little bit of luck.

Having good communication skills helps. For a fresher what matters is
showcasing what you are capable of rather than displaying a theoretical
knowledge of skills mainly to write in your resume. If you have an idea try
develop it, Web2py is the best tool to help you build a web-app. If you are
learning web2py one advice would be to read the book on
www.web2py.com/book thoroughly and try implement what you learn. The
supporting concepts if you are not aware of would need some searching and
more learning.
Bruce Wade
2012-07-13 13:45:23 UTC
As for finding a job over the past few years I have learned if you want
work as a programming and that is your primary goal, learning only one
framework is not going to help much.

The reason is simple when you want a job you have to programming in, most
of the time what the company wants. For example when I first started on my
current project we developed the entire site in pyramid. However after I
took over the lead of the project I had 16 hours worth of meetings showing
countless presentations on why I felt the entire company should switch to
web2py. This move surprisingly or not made a few developers on my team
angry and they eventually left the company. However now that we are using
web2py I can complete more work faster with a smaller team.

I guess my point is live as a programming you can't really focus on 1
framework and you shouldn't focus on just one programming language. If your
passion is python definitely learn python inside out. Also learn web2py,
django, and pyramid so you can truely know the differences and what the
trade offs are with each framework. I have used django, pyramid and pylons
a long time before I started with web2py. However the skills I learned in
the process are what gives me the high paying jobs. Finally you should also
learn another low level language such as C/C++ because sometimes you must
write python models/extensions in c/c++ to help improve performance.

Now web2py is the perfect place to start however it shouldn't be your last
as web2py is just a tool to do a job. As a developer you must master a lot
of different tools.

Hope this helps.
Post by ahmad
please anyone can tell me about the web2py and it's community and if i
learn it can i find a job easily????
Regards,
Bruce Wade
http://ca.linkedin.com/in/brucelwade
http://www.wadecybertech.com
http://www.fittraineronline.com - Fitness Personal Trainers Online
http://www.warplydesigned.com
Derek
2012-07-13 18:51:08 UTC
Alright, nobody has come out and said it - no, there are not a lot of
employers posting job offers for "Web2py". It seems in the python
frameworks space, I see most of them wanting "Django".
Anthony
2012-07-13 21:18:42 UTC
Post by Derek
Alright, nobody has come out and said it - no, there are not a lot of
employers posting job offers for "Web2py". It seems in the python
frameworks space, I see most of them wanting "Django".
Yes, more jobs specifically for Django than web2py, but if maximum job
postings is the main goal, Django probably isn't the way to go either (vs.
Rails, PHP, Java, .Net).

Anthony
mart
2012-07-15 09:45:19 UTC
in my experience "brand names" do not sell as much as bare bone concepts...
Sure mentioning Django vs web2py can open/close doors (even raise an
eyebrow or 2)... But IMHO doors open more when stating the basics: SQL,
MVC, complexe data types, security, apps for the web, etc... Besides,
employers don't necessarily know specifics (well not all the time). I
remember an employer mentioning "Django", then I asked "why?". As expected,
there was no real answer. When I mentioned that there are other frameworks
(yes, specifically web2py), with a couple of examples (most found online
written folks from this group), i got the look of interest... The point is,
its too hard to keep up, and there are plenty of smart people out there who
already know the brand names... going out to look for jobs is easier with
pockets full of those bare bone basics than it is with brand name framework
& up-to-the-minute corporate pets... So, I would say 'absolutely' go with
web2py! learn the basics, evolve, then move on (but always come back ;) )
and apply those basics to other brand name frameworks. And, as mentioned
above, showcase what you can do!

Mart :)
Derek
2012-07-17 20:50:11 UTC
Excellent reply. Yes, learning web2py will help you learn the concepts of
MVC, SQL, OWASP, Javascript, HTML, JSON, CSS, Python. It's really nice to
put those on your resumee.